Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Grad school colloquialisms...

As I work my way through my master's program there is one message I seem to be getting a lot, WRITE WRITE WRITE! The bold print is hardly an exaggeration, as the incessant push to put your thoughts down somewhere--anywhere!!--is pounded into my head.

I did not opt for blogging because I am Internet savvy, not in the slightest, or because I frequently follow others' blogs. The only blog I've read before was written by Stanley Fish, and that just made me want to kill someone. I googled 'where should I start a blog' and this site was at the top of the list. Yeah, picking it sort of made me feel like a sheep, but this is about writing, not being inherently different, which tends to be too much work anyway. So here I am.

I always thought getting a graduate degree would come with it a certain sense of Divine understanding...and I was wrong.

Another word resounds within the walls of my thinly stretched, literary theory beaten brain, PUBLISH! Now, I too fell into the category of sorely misinformed, or just ignorant group of people who assumed you had to be somebody to get something published. I now have deeply rooted in each cerebral fold that I, yes me, can get something published. So, I figured, if I need to write for practice, to better produce texts that can be published, I better get on it.

I guess I should preface this by saying nothing within this blog, my blog, will be anything you read that will change your life. This is intended for me, not you, although I don't mind sharing. And I can say that although I don't have anything profound to say, I'm sure it will be entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment